This was my first time meeting other AWP widows, and I was a little nervous about spending a whole weekend together with girls I didn't know. But my nervousness was soon put to rest! We all got along so great, and Taryn (the founder, age 25), had so many fun things planned for us. I am so grateful I was able to attend, and for all those donors who made it possible.
The $4mil house we stayed in.
Elizabeth was our Meditation teacher. She taught us how to be at peace, both mind and body. All of us girls have been through some pretty intense trauma, and it's very difficult to deal with that. I found what she said very helpful. She was an incredibly calm and peaceful woman to be around. I liked her a lot.

We were given these necklaces at dinner, called unbrokenheart.
The idea is that when your heart is finally mended, you take the gold wire that comes with it, and mend your heart.
Lacey, Tina, Tara (T.T.), and Taryn.
This restaurant was amazing! They treated us so well. The owner and the staff was out front to greet us, everyone came over to say hello, we had the local news there, and when dinner was finally over, they comped it. Well, Taryn, being the sweetheart she is, left our waitress a $400 tip instead! Notice the waitress in the background (in black) crying. :) 
Sunday we got a tour of Chinatown. We saw a local medicine shop (yuck!), the food markets (again, yuck!), how they make fortune cookies (which, incidentally, are only a tradition here in the U.S., not in China), went into a Chinese temple, and had Dim Sum for lunch.
After lunch, we walked from Chinatown down to the Pier. Took about an hour.We found a fun, old-fashioned penny arcade called Musee Mecanique, and all got our fortunes told. Then, on the pier, I found this sign.
Our new friend, Lee Housekeeper, a Press Agent in San Fran and previous manager for The Doors, surprised us by meeting us at the Pier and taking us to The Franciscan. Although we'd already eaten lunch, we weren't about to turn him down. While there, he got a phone call from his son telling him he was going to be a grandpa! Lee Housekeeper, Taryn
After dinner (homemade fajitas), Taryn gave Kaila a balloon since she was going to celebrate her Angelversary the next week. We all held on to the string and let go together, sending love to our loved one.
But the best parts of the trip were when we all just hung out together, sharing stories and tears and supporting one another.
Sharing pictures of our sweetheart on Facebook
Monday morning, before everyone had to head to the airport, we grabbed breakfast at a little coffee shop. We found an article in People Magazine featuring AWP and Taryn!
Everyone headed to the airport, but I was staying an extra day. My old roommate Christine works in San Jose, and she picked me up. Although it was raining, we drove past the Painted Ladies (aka Full House buildings), went for a run in the Golden Gate Park, had clam chowder bread bowls near Pier 39, and got ice cream at Ghirardelli. We were soaked, but had so much fun!
After resting and showering at Christine's place in Palo Alto, we did a little shopping and then went to her ward FHE. After that, we hit In-N-Out Burger, came home and watched The Batchelor, and then zonked out!It really wasn't a long trip, but I was so exhausted when I got home!
I was so antsy to see Johnny again! I don't think we've ever hugged or kissed each other that much. It would have taken a crowbar to pry us away from each other that first hour. He was giggling and smiling and was so darling! I am so blessed!



















10 comments:
Wow, Emily! That sounds like a great weekend. What a blessing to have such a great support system. I know how wonderful it can be to be surrounded by people who have walked in your shoes. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Perfect. Glad you were able to have fun.
What a nice weekend, the necklaces are really amazing, I love that they get mended and strong but you don't ever "erase" the break. Love that. I can only imagine how amazing each of these ladies is. Thanks for sharing.
Nice to see what all you were able to do. Wonderful opportunity!
So glad for you. Yes I know "You Can Do It"!
I can't help but cry when seeing all those women sitting together knowing they have lost their loved one. You and the other women are my hero's. You are all amazing. What a wonderful organization! I'm so glad that you had a great time. Love you Em!!!
K, I'm totally crying my eyes out. You women are amazing!! You inspire many Emily. I'm so grateful you find so much support that most of us cannot give you. Glad you went, and glad you're back!
I'm glad you got to go. Looks like it was fun and healing.
What an amazing weekend you must've had! Wow. So cool!
Oh Em - what a perfect weekend. I LOVE the necklaces - it says it all.
Post a Comment