Monday, February 4, 2008

My Bowed Psaltery

Random Fact: I love learning new instruments. It's an addiction really. I have played about a dozen different instruments throughout my life, most in some sort of organization. I am a jack of all instruments, but master of none. But no matter -- I still enjoy playing them all, even if I'm not going to be the next James Gallway, Benny Goodman, or Kenny G.

Last night I entertained myself with my newest favorite: the bowed psaltery. My incredible father built it for me for Christmas in 2006. With the wedding, moving, etc. I haven't had the time to learn it -- until now. I LOVE it! Here a picture of what one looks like. This one I found online, but it's very similar to the one my dad made for me.


For those you not familiar with this instrument (which is probably everyone who reads this blog) here's a little history:

"Psalteries are found, in one form or another, in every major folk culture in the world dating back 1000's of years. They came in all shapes and sizes, some were plucked, some were struck and some were bowed. The most sacred musical instrument of the ancient Hebrews was a plucked psaltery with 10 strings which dates back to Biblical times. The hammered dulcimer is actually a struck psaltery that originated in the middle east over 3000 years ago. The bowed psaltery probably dates back around 300 years ago in Ireland but it was a great deal different from the ones we have today. It's shape was a right triangle with the longest string on the left and the strings got shorter as they moved down toward the right. This allowed the bow to get between the pins and reach every string. It was held in the left hand and the bow was in the right hand. The modern psaltery is very, very different from it's ancient relatives. The comtemporary bowed psaltery is an isosceles triangle with hitch pins on both sides and tuned to the chromatic scale (the same as a piano, with both natural notes and sharps and flats)."

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow. I thought my 3 or 4 poorly played instruments were impressive. I've never even heard of a bowed psaltery. Looks pretty cool. And even cooler that your dad built it!

dtcmw said...

That is really cool...how did I never know that about you? I love your pictures you posted on the side. I am heading to Mexico in a couple months. You should email me to tell me about where you went!

BreAnna said...

OK, so could your family be any more talented? First of all you play every instrument, which is amaizing, and I imagine you are a master of many of them, that is just in your nature. Secondly, your dad MADE you one of these, that is really incredible and just shows that you really are a chip of the old block of raw amazing talent! Have a good day!

Audrey said...

what a fun thing to try! another talent to add to your wonderfully long list! Maybe someday you could teach me!

Iris said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! So what's your favorite tune to play?

Sarah said...

That looks so neat! I'm so jealous!

Melissa said...

You are amazing! Good luck with the learning!