Saturday, July 18, 2009

2nd Anniversary

Tuesday, July 14th was my Anniversary. I knew it was going to be a difficult day, so I started planning in advance how to celebrate. It turned out to be the perfect day.

First, let me state that the song I have playing was the song John and I danced to at our wedding, and we considered it "our song." It's amazing how perfect this song is for us. It really was a Heavenly Day (one of only a few we would have together).

"Heavenly Day" by Patty Griffin

Oh heavenly day, all the clouds blew away
Got no trouble today with anyone

The smile on your face I live only to see
It's enough for me, baby, it's enough for me

Oh, heavenly day, heavenly day, heavenly day

Tomorrow may rain with sorrow
Here's a little time we can borrow
Forget all our troubles in these moments so few
All we've got right now, the only thing that

All we really have to do
Is have ourselves a heavenly day
Lay here and watch the trees sway
Oh, can't see no other way, no way, no way

Heavenly day, heavenly day, heavenly day

No one at my shoulder bringing me fears
Got no clouds up above me bringing me tears

Got nothing to tell you, I've got nothing much to say
Only I'm glad to be here with you
On this heavenly, heavenly, heavenly, heavenly
Heavenly day, all the trouble's gone away
Oh, for a while anyway, for a while anyway
Heavenly day, heavenly day, heavenly day


GYM

I started out the day with a run at the gym. I never get to the gym, but my sis/mom watched Johnny while I went. It was a real treat.

FACIAL

Some friends bought me a spa gift certificate for my birthday back in January, which I have been saving for the perfect occasion. I know they meant for me to use it sooner (sorry!) but this was perfect! Honestly, I would not have paid to pamper myself, so it was awesome to have it. I have never had a facial and -- wow -- was it incredible! A little piece of heaven right there.

MOUNTAINS

Tam, the kids, and I drove up in the mountains above Bountiful to the spot where John proposed. It was my first time going back, and I am so glad Tam was there to be with me. We took a picnic and really enjoyed the wild flowers and cool breeze; the ants not so much. It was really neat to be back, especially with Johnny. The best part was that Tam let me talk about John all I wanted and didn't make me feel like I was talking too much.

TEMPLE

After getting back from the mountains, mom graciously babysat Johnny so I could go to the Bountiful Temple. I wanted to do sealings - a vicarious ceremony where husband and wife are sealed together for time and all eternity, and where children are sealed to their parents. Since John died, doing or attending sealings has been really hard for, and honestly something I have tried to avoid. But I really wanted to hear the words of the ceremony again. It was incredible. Yes, I bawled all over the place (and got lots of weird looks), but it was awesome. I felt so close to John and so blessed to know that our little family is sealed forever, and that all the blessings of Heaven can be ours. The sealer was really wonderful, too. He took a lot of time to teach and instruct; not a common thing during sealings. I stayed after to talk with him a little and received extra insight. It was the best thing I could have done that day.

DINNER

I had made dinner reservations at The Roof restaurant for 7:30. The Roof is where John took me the night that he proposed. It's a really fancy restaurant on the top floor of the Joseph Smith Building that overlooks the Salt Lake Temple and Temple Square. The party included Kathryn, Amber, Tami, and Julie (who drove all the way from Denver as a surprise the night before!). My good friend Janelle watched Johnny for me, and Bekah watched Tami's kids.

The first thing I saw walking to our table was a beautiful rose on the table. I was surprised by my own emotion at seeing this. When John took me to dinner the night he proposed, he had a dozen roses and rose petals all over the table. When I saw the single rose it took me back in a way I can't explain. It was powerful and emotional and I could feel John's presence, as if he was saying, "that would be from me, if I could." Thank you Tam, for being so sensitive.

We ate and laughed and cried and had a wonderful time. The best part of the night was when Tami read "The Proposal." The night John proposed he went home and wrote a 6-page account of the whole day! It is funny and detailed and very "John." It was humorous and tender, and I loved hearing his words and excitement about us getting married. I was so glad my sisters were willing to go with me and support me.

FLOWERS

The day wouldn't be complete with telling about the beautiful flowers I received. My dad sent me flowers from work, my father-in-law stopped by on his way home from work with flowers, and my friend Janelle gave me 2-dozen red roses! I LOVE flowers and I felt so loved. The day was not wanting for anything (except John, of course).

14 comments:

Dan and Katie said...

You are an amazing woman, I get teary just reading your blog. You have such a wonderful eternal perspective. I can't imagine what John is thinking up there....man, my wife is incredible!!

Shannon said...

so beautiful...a heavenly day. Thanks for sharing it. I felt as if I was there with you. Sweet memories, and a wonderful family to make them even sweeter. You're amazing Emily...you'll never know.

Unknown said...

I agree with both comments above. I'm happy you shared your day with all of us. I too got teary hearing about your heavenly day, and it really sounds like it was just that. Happy (late) anniversary and I'm happy you'll have eternity to keep celebrating them.

The Odida Family said...

I cried just reading your beautiful account of heavenly day you experienced. You are so strong! I just can't tell you that enough. We love you! Your cousin Pamela and family (I mean everyone too like Uncle Joe and Aunt Jeanne, Kristin, Anna, Jon, and everyone of our families!)

Tonia said...

I can't believe how much you were able to pack into that one day. You have such a wonderful family and you are such an example to us all!

Jessica Marie said...

What a great way to plan your day! I'm so glad you have the support of so many people who love you - you deserve it.

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you had a good day!!!

Valerie Housley said...

Emily, you are definitely a woman of great faith and strength--something John exuded as well. You truly had a heavenly day and what wonderful things you did. I can only imagine how special it was to feel John's presence on your anniversary. My thoughts and prayers are always with you and your eternal family.

We have Angelina's funeral on this Wednesday. I hope that I too will be able to have a heavenly day like you.

I love you!

Alena said...

WOW! I am so proud of you to make the most of the day and "heal". What wonderful things you did and what a fantastic way to turn what could have been a sluggish, depressing day into an almost perfect day. Loves, Happy anniversary-Alena

Kara said...

Oooh, i'm so glad that it was a good day. I can't tell you how many times that I started a text messages, a phone call, a blog comment, an email to tell you Happy anniversary that day but didn't because I didn't know if I should. I knew I just should have! SOrry. Glad you were able to enjoy it. love you.

Kari said...

You never cease to amaze me with your strength, faith, and beauty. I love ya! You are an awesome example. I would love to see you and meet Johnny sometime soon! :)

Jeanne Alley said...

I can see why your day was so lovely and yes Heavenly as a result of your weeks of planning. Thank you for sharing not only the music but the beautiful words of "Your Song" complete with those who accompanied and love you as you visited each meaningful spot to re-live precious memories. I know John was pleased.
Love from Grandma Alley

Kori said...

Amen to all the above. You are amazing. Glad you had a good day.

Audrey said...

Wow! What a day! You have an amazing family and friend support system. What a smart way to plan the day too. Quite the meaningful celebration. I hope you're going to take all these wonderful experiences you're having and posting and make them into a printed book or journal. (Sorry family historian coming out...) :) You are a special and very loved woman.