Sunday, October 18, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday Johnny!!!

I threw Johnny's birthday party on Saturday, the 17th, because we had family in town. It was so much fun! I have been planning this day in my head since Johnny was only a few months old -- obviously, I was really looking forward to it! All in all, there were 25 people, mostly adults!

The party was an Air Force/airplane theme. Johnny is super fascinated by airplanes (which he gets from his dad's side; NOT mine), and so given his pilot heritage I decided to combine airplanes with Air Force.

We played three games: (1) A "How Well Do You Know Johnny" quiz, which Whitney won, of all people! (2) A paper airplane flying contest, where Luke took the cake!! His plane was so awesome it could almost hold people! Bekah took a close second there. (3) And last, we sat in a circle and everybody drew a picture of Johnny, passing the papers to the right every 15 seconds, so in the end there were 20+ really funny pics of Johnny! I also had a matted picture of Johnny that everybody signed and which will hang in his room. It turned out darling.

We had yummy Costco pizza, soda, chips, and veggies, along with cake and ice cream, of course. While everybody ate, we watched an Abbott and Costello short clip called High Flyers, which was hilarious!

Making and decorating the cake was quite an adventure. Version one was destroyed by little hands that reached up onto the stove and ate handfuls of it until she was caught. The decorating was a lot longer of a process than I anticipated, but I am glad I did it. Tami made the airplane hanger. Notice the plane coming in to land? :) Oh, and that helmet on the table was really John's.


I was so excited about the cute party hats, but they scared Johnny. He wailed when I tried to put one on him. He was even afraid of mine! Maybe next year. . .

Johnny didn't hestiate with the cake - he knew just what to do! He didn't get as messy as I thought he would or hoped he would; he was very careful, using both his fork, and thumb/index fingers. That's my methodical little man, for ya!



Everybody was so generous - Johnny got some great gifts!! He has really needed some new, more difficult toys. Thanks everyone!

Whitney made this darling hat and scarf! But he wasn't a big fan. Poor guy!
At first he was pretty hesitant about the gifts and didn't really understand the concept. But after a few really fun toys, he got it! He was really excited about each toy, and it was hard keepig him focused on opening another present!


10 comments:

Jenna said...

happy birthday to hum. VERY cute party!

Shannon said...

such a handsome little man! looks like his daddy. kisses!

Steve and Julie said...

Thanks for the pictures! Everyone said it was a blast. He and Blake are going to have so much fun together. XOXOX to both of you!

Adriane said...

Happy birthday, Johnny! Looks like you had so much fun!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, Johnny! What a great cake & I just might have to steal the idea of a matted photo for people to sign. You've gotten me excited to party, Emily! Thanks for sharing.

Tricia said...

My, my, you've just set quite the standard for one-year birthday parties. It looked it was a LOT of fun--and happy birthday to the little man.

The Ceelens said...

Awesome pics Emily! Thanks for posting them so soon! The cake was really, really neat. Good job! Happy Birthday little man!

Alan Wilbur said...

Not from our side of the family, eh? Let's see...Grandpa was the chief pilot for United, one uncle and two cousins who fly, and one courageous brother who tinkered with it... Nope, nothing in your blood at all!

Brian V said...

Oh, my! Absolutely ADORABLE!!!!

Audrey said...

What fun! You're a good party thrower! And well done on the cake! It looks like Johnny had a blast! You are a wonderful mom and I'm glad you are loving every moment you have with him!!