Friday, February 5, 2010

The American Dream

THE MOVE!!!

I finally moved into my new home on Monday, December 7th - incidentally, it was the only day to snow after weeks of warm temperatures. Well, Sunday night my brother-in-law, Steve, flew in from Colorado as a surprise to help me move. WHAT A SWEETHEART! I don't know what I would have done without him. What I had imagined to be a day of "let's just get through this," turned into one of excitement and fun.

Sunday night Steve borrowed a steam cleaner from a friend and steam cleaned all my carpets. Then he got the WILD idea that we should paint a few rooms, so my sister Kathryn came over and we picked out colors for a room and an accent wall.

Steve and our friend Paul started taping and painting at 6 am! the next day. I got there around 8 and helped finish painting and putting sticky labels everywhere in the kitchen and around the home so the movers would know where things should go. My mother watched Johnny for me, and my mother-in-law came over to help unpack.

The movers got there around 9. A little paperwork, and the party started! I became Director of Affairs telling the movers where every box should go. ("What in the heck is that?!" or "I didn't even know I owned that! . . . uh, put it in the office.") EVERYTHING went in the office that didn't have a logical home, like the couch. It was the catchall and by the end of the day that room was an utter chaotic mess.

The movers were absolutely fantastic - the best I've ever had! They were quick and careful and nice. They were great to work with. And STEVE! ~ wow ~ I spent most of the time in the garage directing boxes here and there. It was a frigid day and Steve rigged a space heater out there for me, and Eva made hot chocolate for everyone. And when things got "hard," Steve was there for emotional support. I know John was so pleased with his service, because I felt him so much that day.

After the movers left, the fun of unpacking began. The movers did a lot, but it was still a chaotic mess. Eva completely organized the kitchen, and my dear mother courageously confronted that office. My father-in-law bought me my first groceries. My sis Kat watched Johnny for me so my mom could help. My sister-in-law Anna who climbed to the tippy-top of the ladder to finish painting the accent wall. My friend Tom who helped paint. And of course, Steve, who did EVERYTHING else, from buying light bulbs, to fixing a busted drawer, to installing the washer and dryer. He did SO much and didn't wait to be asked. He was amazing.

It was an exhausting day, but we accomplished SO much. And ever since day one, it has felt like home. I can't even begin to describe the feeling of having my own place again. Living with my parents was so wonderful, but here I feel like my life is somewhat normal again.

I am so grateful for family. Family is what it's all about. We need each other, and that's how it should be. Every day I thank my Father in Heaven for the family he has blessed me with. Despite my challenges, I am one lucky girl!

(Steve, I'm over here! Open your eyes!)












8 comments:

Jodi said...

So cute! How fun! I love it! You need to send me your address!

Tonia said...

Your home looks so nice! I'm glad your move-in experience turned into such a great day.

Emily you are so inspiring and amazing, I don't know how you do it all! Congrats on the place.

Dan and Katie said...

Yay, I am so excited for you to have your own place!

Sarah said...

Hooray for having everything just right so fast! I love the color blue -- so much like Danny's nursery. Congratulations on YOUR new home!

Cindy said...

I love the paint color and your brother-in-law ;). What a sweetheart.

The house looks so nice. There's nothing like your own place. Congrats!

Dave and Candace said...

Your home is beautiful Emily. You are will always be amazing.

Alena said...

There certainly is something about moving that is so renewing. I love that feeling-new beginnings. I am so happy for you and especially since you have such awesome family.

Audrey said...

Wow! I'm glad you put up some pictures! I can't wait to come visit! I'm glad you feel at home, girl. You deserve a place of your own. YEAH FOR YOU!!!!