We met at Hill Air Force Base at 9:30, where we were greeted and had a short PR meeting (since the news was going to be following our story throughout the day). Then we piled into a bus and headed for Ross Department Store out in Murray.
We were met by the store manager and assistants, and pictures were taken. Then we were told we had a budget of $30+ to find a fun outfit for the night. We went nuts! It was so fun trying on tons of close and modeling for each other. It's amazing how fast a group of girls, who have never met, can bond over a day of shopping!
These were my gals: Brooke (left) and Lauren (right)
She is actually from Florida and is a Mormon, so we had a lot in common!
At the end of the night we each got an Appreciation Award, and we got a minute to tell our story. There were some moving speeches. These Air Force families give SO much for our country. They sacrifice SO much for our protection and security. Most of the girls didn't know I was widowed, because I didn't broadcast it. I was one of the last up, and immediately the sponsor, Cathy, started crying (which didn't help me at all!). :) I said my husband too was deployed, but his was an extended deployment.
I so love my Air Force family. And I am so grateful I was able to spend a day with a group of women who know what it's like to be a single parent 24-7 and who are separated from their husbands, but still love and miss them so much. And getting pampered was just what I needed right now. It's hard to feel pretty when you're a mom, especially when your husband isn't around to tell you that dry hands, and messy hair, and stained jeans is JUST how he likes it. :) But yesterday, for a few hours, I felt valued, important, and gorgeous. Thanks Cathy!!!
9 comments:
Oh, Emily-that is so touching. And you look great-I am just so happy for you. I like your modest dress. I actually made a blog about that too!
wow. the shoes! you look fab!
this is SO cool. I love it. Glad you got a day out!! You deserve it!
I want those shoes! I love your blog.. just thought you should know.
I'm so glad you got to do this - you deserve it!! And GIRL! Those were some HEELS!! I'm super impressed! You looked great!!
You look beautiful - I love the dress! Much deserved!
Oh, that looks like it was so much fun. It is true the bond I immediately feel with those women-and you too. I didn't get to do something like that when Kelly was deployed, maybe next deployment though. I am sorry you were in a "special category." And, BTW, you look hot. :) It's not the same as it would be coming from John, but you are so beautiful, Emily.
What a great day! You look beautiful!
Post a Comment