Sunday, September 23, 2007

A voice of warning

I always knew our neighborhood wasn't the greatest. The trailers, occasional cops, and houses that looked abandoned for years that are actually occupied -- all these might point to the possibility that things might be a bit sketchy here and again. Well, today confirmed it. John and I went for a nice Sunday afternoon walk amongst the houses on cinder blocks (it reminded me of college - only those were our beds . . .) and someone actually stopped us and said, "what are folks like you doing around here?" We said we were going for a walk and he said, "That's not a very good idea. You be careful."

AUGH! What the heck!? I've never actually been warned in my own neighborhood. What exactly were we to be careful of?! John and I decided we should take our walks in the other direction from now on. If we cross the street, the median house price rises about $250,000. So pretty much, from about $25,000 a house/trailer/4-walls made of particle board to $275,000 a house (made from brick!). Ok, those numbers are completely false -- but you get the idea.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

EMILY!!!!!!! Oh how happy I am that you're blogging! I've missed you and thought about you a lot. I'm glad to hear that you're so happy! I'd love to see a picture of your neighborhood. memyboys.blogspot.com...come visit

Jeffrey said...

You're not in Utah anymore!

Because in Utah they'd stop you and say, how many steps have you taken on the Sabbath so far?

:) I jest, I jest.

tami said...

Reminds me of the summer we lived in DC. If we walked one block east we were in the neighborhood that saw 7 murders in one week...but if we walked west we were soon into the million dollar properties! Crazy.

janabananagirl said...

Yikes! That's scary! I'd much rather live in an apartment with cinder blocked beds than a neighborhood with cinder blocked houses.

Amanda said...

I found your blog! You didn't tell me you'd been warned about the neighborhood! See if I come to your house again. :o) And don't worry, we play in the rain too!