Sunday, May 24, 2009

One down, 60 more to go

I am not really sure what to write. Today is the kind of anniversary you hope you never have to celebrate. And yet, here I am. I can't believe it's been a year since John passed away. I have known this day would come, and I've wondered what it would be like. How would I feel? Would things be better -- easier? I get frustrated sometimes (ok, often) that really not too much has changed in the last 12 months. I'm starting to realize that it probably won't. But why would it? Why would it get easier? Time heals wounds, Time heals broken hearts, but Time doesn't lessen the longing for your companion, it deepens it. And mine is a deep that knows no limit, it seems.

I never knew before how physical emotions can be. How missing someone can literally make you feel weak, nauseous, and like your chest is on fire, all at the same time. I am grateful for the love and support that I receive daily from my Savior. I don't how I would get through a trial like this without Him. But my longing for John, I know, will never leave me until we are reunited.

I can't really put into words how I felt when I was told that John's body had been found, and that he was no longer living. I felt like my insides had been ripped from my body, that all the lights had gone out and I was being sucked into a black hole. I guess that is what despair feels like. It didn't last long, however. As soon as I turned to my Savior, hope and love began to fill that black hole again. Light entered my life again. And while the pain and sadness continue, I know I am not alone. I also know that there is purpose and meaning behind it, and that in the end it will be such a blessing to me that I will thank my Heavenly Father for it.

My sister, Tam, took me to the place John passed away the Sunday following his passing. And without sharing too much, I will just say I felt an overwhelming sense of peace, comfort, and patience. I love John. And I love my Savior, on whom I rely every day of my life.



18 comments:

Nicole said...

I was thinking only yesterday about this time last year. You've been a great example to me, Em, of faith and courage! Love you!

Melissa said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings of today. You are such an amazing woman. I pray for you every day and hope you know the wonderful effect you have on people's lives. You are always in my thoughts and I hope as you remember this anniversary you are filled with peace!

tami said...

I wish I were with you today, Em. I love you.

Derek, Ali, Breck, Jade, Koemi and Carter said...

Congratulations on having the first year under your belt. Thanks for sharing your experiences and feelings to help the rest of us feel closer to you. We're always anxious to see what's going on with you and little Jonny. We really appreciate the updates you give. Keep 'em coming. We love the pics: the ones of you, the ones of John, and especially the ones of Jonny. What a cool drawing that is also! It truly is a priceless gift. Thank goodness for those angels in our lives.

Dan and Katie said...

Emily, you are definitely in our thoughts and prayers. Every year on memorial day I run in a little race in Boulder CO. That is where I was when Chris called me to tell me about John. I can't believe it has been a year. You really are a wonderful example of faith in our trials! Thanks for keeping in touch with me :)

Amanda said...

We've been thinking of you and John and Johnny all weekend. We can't believe it was just a year ago. It feels like an eternity. But thankfully an eternity is what we all have with each other. We miss you! And we're going to be in Utah next month if you want to get together!!

Sarah said...

Dear Emily,
I came over to say we've been thinking about you so much this week. This blog entry was a gift to me as I try to comprehend how hard it must be. I figured it would be just as hard a year later. I agree that although the Savior is constant & sure in His perfect love & strength, it doesn't mean you will ever stop missing John. I wish I could be a fly on Heaven's wall when the 2 of you meet again!!! It will be so wonderful!!!
Love & best wishes,
Sarah & Dan

Tonia said...

You are such an amazing woman and such an example to us all. My prayers are with you.

Iris said...

Emily, I've been thinking of you a lot lately. You're in our prayers. I can't pretend that I have the remotest idea of what you have had to face. What I do know is that I stand in awe of you though. With what you have had to go through, you are amazing. I love you.

The Willis Wonder Years said...

Emily, you dont know me. My name is Melanie Willis. I knew who John was through my husband Brian. They went to the Academy together. And my sister-in-law drew the picture of John. I saw your blog on Stephanie Webb's blog and I read yours from time to time. I hope you dont mind. I just need to tell you that you are truly the most amazing woman I have EVER known of. I have no clue how you do what you do. I have no idea how you are so strong and so faithful, when I know how weak I would be if I was in your situation. You are truly a light to SO many around you, and I can say that without a doubt not even ever having met you. I do hope that I will one day have the priveledge of crossing paths with you. You have been an inspiration to me and I hope perhaps one day, I can amount to even half the incredible woman you are. Please know that you and your family are always in our prayers. Take care!

Cris said...

I second Nicole's comment.

The Odida Family said...

I can't even begin to feel what you have been through but I know I could never be as strong or as courageous as you. You amaze me and will always continue to do so. We are thinking of you and love you.

Kara said...

Emily, the pictures are beautiful and truly add a special feeling to your words. Thanks for sharing your feelings. it can't be easy to do but it helps to know where you are at and what helps you. please call if you need someone to talk to.

Cindy said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I thought you might enjoy this blog. Leslie has been a widow for 18 months and this is her story. http://leslieandaaron.blogspot.com/

Meg said...

I've been thinking of you. What a difficult day to get through. I'm thankful you have felt the peace of the Savior. I continue to pray for you. Love you!

Jeffrey said...

I just wanted to share with you something I wrote once.

http://dewhaq.com/2008/05/01/my-lord-my-god/

I love you, Emily.

Adriane said...

Oh, Emily, I just want to let you know that we're thinking of you. I can't imagine how hard this month is for you; I'm glad you are able to find strength through your amazing faith.

Aaron and Melissa said...

You are such an amazing person. You have been in my thoughts as well and are truly an inspiration and example of our Savior to me. I am so thankful to know you!