Monday, November 23, 2009

A Homeowner















I took a huge step in adulthood today. I signed the paperwork to buy my first house -- a cute condo here in Bountiful.

I have had to do lots of things by myself since John died, things that you don't imagine having to do yourself. This was one of those biggies. I have been house-hunting for the last year and a half. I found a Realtor, walked through dozens of homes, learned the current market inside and out, made an offer, countered that offer, researched and decided on a mortgage company, crunched numbers to determine the interest rate best for me, researched and decided on Home Owners Insurance, found a Home Inspector, educated myself on all the closing fees, and finally, today, met with the Title Company to close the deal.

I am a big girl now. I think John would be proud.

I don't move in until the 7th of December. The *renters* :) didn't have a place to go until then, and I didn't have a problem waiting and letting them rent back. These next two weeks are going to take forever. I am so excited to finally be surrounded by my . . . OUR . . . stuff again. But it's not just stuff. It's the couch we cuddled on. It's the TV we watched movies on. It's the movies we organized together. It's the pots and pans that we cooked dinner in. It's the bed we slept in. It's the games we played together. It's the piano we sang around for FHE. It's the pictures we hung together. It's HOME.

18 comments:

Stacey said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you! Can't wait to see pictures of your new home.

tami said...

So excited for you! SO excited! And can I stay with you when we come at Christmas? :) kidding.

Tonia said...

I hope the next 2 weeks fly by for you! Congratulations and I can't wait to see pics.

Cris said...

Just enough time to start planning a house warming party, don't you think?

Dan and Katie said...

I am so excited for you to have your stuff, that will be so fun. Can't wait to see pictures!

Kari said...

congratulations! you are such an inspiration and i love ya! good luck on the move!

Sarah said...

Hooray!!! Isn't buying such a pain? It will be totally worth it to be on your own, though, I'm sure!

Our Ohana said...

wow!! very cool! i'm so excited you'll have your own stuff and your own place to set it up in!! how exciting!

Amanda said...

How exciting! I can only dream of the day we might be able to buy a house. And I second the housewarming party. :)

Kara said...

so excited for you! it's so fun to have your own place. post pics soon!

Cassi Wood said...

I love the picture of you...it captures the moment! I am so impressed you did all of those things alone-John should be proud.
I can't wait to see it!

Jill May said...

Good for you, Emily. John would be proud. That is really exciting!!

Aaron and Melissa said...

I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see pictures. We have yet to have a house of our own. . .too many years in school! I hear it is quite a process. . .good job Em! I know John would be proud. You and Johnny are SO cute! I miss you! Hope the move goes well.

Dave and Candace said...

Congrats Emily! Good for you for doing so much research. Hopefully I can see it sometime. You are amazing.

Grandpa Alley said...

Yes - John would be very pleased, as we all are Em.

Holly said...

I'm a friend of Valerie Housley, and I can't remember if I've ever commented before, but I've been following your blog ever since John's passing. I am inspired by your strength--I don't know how you do it. I get tears in my eyes every time I read one of your posts. You are such an amazing person. Congratulations on buying a condo! It must be so hard to have to do so many big things on your own...but you seem to be doing great at it. Little Johnny is adorable. Thanks for sharing your story with all of us.

hori said...

Yea Emily!! You did it...you found a home?! I just checked out your and Tammis blogs today, so fun to get updated. Johnnie is just gorgeous! My email is hhardy33@digis.net. Will you send me yours? I want to run something by you!

Love,
Holly

Audrey said...

I know I've already said congrats and you're all moved in, but I liked that post and had to say so. Especially that last paragraph. And yes, you're a big girl- but to me you've always been one. Thanks for the perspective.:)