You might think that getting a headstone would be one of the first things you would do after somebody dies. Until it happens to you. Designing John's headstone was one of the hardest projects I've ever done. When you're in charge of creating something that will stand as memory for the person for generations to come, that's no small task; especially when it's the person you love most in the whole world. Everything -- the size, color, font, words, font size, font style, graphics, layout, etc. -- are all choices to be made that will say, "this is the John we all love." I didn't want to make a hasty decision just to have the job done. I spent months thinking about it, drawing pictures, walking mutliple times around the cemetery looking for examples, and talking to family. I submitted the final design early last month.
I finally got the call this morning that it was all finished and put in. I have been so anxious about it and was SO nervous to go see it. I was just sure that something was going to be wrong with it, or something misspelled. I almost sent my mom to go first, but then changed my mind and went with her. I am so glad I did. I absolutely love it. It turned out even better than I imagined. I think John would be pleased.
16 comments:
Oh Emily, that is beautiful! You did a great job! Johnny is getting so big!! He is so so cute!
Perfect job. I would expect nothing less from you. And The strength you examplify is amazing. You are a dear. Alena
Its perfect Emily. Absolutly beautiful!
that is wonderful. Love the Captn. Moroni on the bottom. Flowers are a great touch! beautiful.
It beautiful, Emily. I like your family picture.
You've got me all teary now. Beautiful. I'm glad you were home when the call came :) and not still up here. Can't wait to put some daisies in when we come down again.
Thank you for all your work to make that masterpiece happen Em. John is so blessed to have you. I'm so so so grateful to see the finished product. Has it really almost been a year? Or was it just yesterday like it feels sometimes? Sending you a big hug and lots of love today. Julie & Steve
Dear Emily...how very beautiful it is even moreso than I previously imagined now seeing it as a lasting memory to our John. I have just added a little more to my "Tear Soup", but it is good. Lots of Love and an extra hug for little Johnny. Grandma Alley
You are amazing Em....it's perfect.
Perfect. That's what it is, absolutely perfect! You did a beautiful job Em. Beau and I were talking about how peculiar it is that one day -- our wedding day -- can also hold such contrasting feelings for us. hopefully we'll be able to get to the point of celebrating the fact that we knew John instead of mourning his loss. You do such a wonderful job of that! We love you Em, and think of you so often.
That is beautiful. The Captain Moroni quote is perfect. Johnny looks just like his Dad. How awesome to have a perfect reminder of the one you love most with you everyday. You are amazing.
What a beautiful headstone. I definitely think it is a good representation of the John we knew. You did an amazing job!
Beautiful!
My husband and I have prayed for you for months! We both knew John. You might kinda know my husband Joe from the Academy.
anyways, I just wanted you to know that you are a tremendous individual! You are an amazing Mother and I know so many people are proud of you!
It is so perfect. My heart breaks taht you have to go through this trial but what a beautiful gift you have of keeping John with you in his little son. He looks just like his daddy! You do an amazing job of living each day rather than living in the past or wishing too much for time to fly by... at least I think so. I'm sure you have some pretty hard days but I'd never know.
Emily, it breaks my heart this happened. I am so sorry. You are such an amazing woman, so much courage and strength and I'm not saying that because of what happened, but because of my memories of you before you were even married. You showed me so much courage and self-dicipline. I just admire you very much. I am married to Jen Walters's brother-in-law Brandon who will be speaking at her funeral. I saw that you joined "Jen's Crew." I just wanted to reach out to you and thank you for the comment you made on the Jen's Crew page. It was very thoughtful.
Well done, my friend. Everything looks perfect. I'd love to see it next time I come. I love the picture with little Johnny on the blanket. And you of course!!
Post a Comment