This summer I decided to plant a garden, and followed the Square Foot Gardening technique. My dad has done it for a few years now, and it's worked well for him. I'm proud to say that I built the box, added the special (read expensive) dirt, and planted the starts! My dad helped a ton and later added the netting to hold up the vines. And my sweet brother Kevin dug up the grass where I put the box and replanted it to another area in my yard. I have the best family.
It was a really fun project, and although my yield hasn't been great,** I'm glad for what I've learned and look forward to a better crop next year. This black thumb of mine may turn green yet!
The Building Phase



A few months later, and Voila! My garden is all growed up!

Some of my first produce!
** Update on 9 Sep 2010: I spoke too soon! My garden is producing wonderfully and I'm enjoying lots of yummy meals from the zucchini, tomatoes, and cucumbers (peppers were hopeless, though). Yea for backyard gardens!
5 comments:
Sweet! Awesome! All my attempts at gardening have failed. Maybe I'm trying the wrong crops? My parents grow tomatoes, peppers, grapes, pears, apples, etc. They're successful. It's my broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans that keep failing me. I wonder where I need to move to be successful growing these items? They're my favorite!!!
That looks awesome! Congrats on your first garden!!
I want a garden! BUT, I'm afraid I'd kill everything! I can't even keep a plant alive :( Enjoy your produce!
Okay . . . I'm totally going to look into the square foot gardening thing for next year. My garden was a flop this year! Thanks for inspiring me . . . again.
What fun! I love it! I did experimental gardening on a whole bunch of stuff. Something about gardening is so satisfying! Well done! Your tomatoes are the right color. We haven't had enough sun to make them turn red- except for one. If you need more space you could do pots on the deck or patio- I have about 25 of them and some are growing better than the garden. The boys even have an eggplant! P.S. Have you heard of Bountiful Baskets?...
Post a Comment